St. Stephen’s is located in the downtown area of Newton, Iowa, a city of about 15,000 in the midst of the rolling farm land of east central Iowa’s Jasper County. Newton is about 35 miles east of Des Moines along Interstate – 80 and enjoys the benefits of the nearby metropolitan area.
For over a century, Newton was home to the Maytag corporation headquarters. The Maytag Washing Machine Company was founded in 1893 by businessman Frederick Maytag. The company later became Maytag, Inc., and the major employer in Newton until the Maytag plant ended production in October 2007.
Today, Newton is the home to prominent manufacturers in the wind industry TPI Blades, and Trinity Structural Towers, and the Iowa Speedway.
Our church is the home of dedicated people who wish to act in accord with the passion of Christ. We strive to be the hands,feet and face of God. We are a welcoming and supportive community.
As an Episcopal congregation, St. Stephens’s is a part of the Episcopal Diocese of Iowa along with 11,000 other baptized Christians in 63 other Episcopal congregations in Iowa.